5 Things you need to know to declutter your home
Is clutter weighing you down? Winter is the perfect time to declutter your home and set yourself free. As daunting as it may sound, it doesn’t have to be. Look at the bright side, the less you own the less you have to clean and organize. More clutter = More stress. Sounds good but where do you start?
- Make a plan. Create a list and prioritize the areas of your home that need to be decluttered. Start small, it doesn’t have to be a whole room; it could be a drawer, closet or area that needs work. Congratulations, you have completed step 1!
- Be realistic. Dedicate 15 minutes a day, 3 days a week, to decluttering your first room/area. Pick an easy place to start. When you have completed one area then, and only then, move on to the next. Enjoy your success!
- Apply the hanger method. The last thing you want to do is donate clothing you wear or keep things you don’t. In an effort to identify the clothing you no longer need, hang all of your hangers in the reverse direction. After wearing an item, return it to the hanger facing forward. After each season you will have a more accurate picture of the clothes you no longer wear.
- Get 4 boxes and label them: Trash, Donate, Keep and Relocate. As you go about your daily life and find items in these categories, place them in their appropriate box. This is an easy yet highly effective way to help organize your home.
- Donate. You should feel good about the decision to donate items knowing these items will go to someone in need.
Relax and enjoy spring in your clutter-free home!